Friday, March 18th, 2011 at
Seeing our elders losing their memory power with the increase in their age is a common phenomenon that many of us have witnessed. Memory loss
with aging has been considered almost a natural process and most of the time, it has nothing to do with threatening diseases like Dementia or Alzheimer. However, this doesn’t mean that you have to accept things as they are. Memory can be improved even in the aging people. All that it needs is to increase the exercise for your brain cells. After all, it has been proven that brain can produce new brain cells even in aged people.
Before dealing with the problem of failing memory, you have to make sure whether it is a case of natural memory loss
or is due to some diseases that warrant a visit to the doctor. Here are some instances that show cases of normal memory loss
• Forgetting an appointment.
• Forgetting where you have kept things you use regularly like the keys, your glasses etc.
• Forgetting contact numbers.
• Wandering, trying to remember the reason for coming to a place or room.
Ways to prevent Memory Loss
Here are certain tips that you can follow in order to improve memory even when you are aging.
- It’s been observed that with aging, less blood flows into the brain cells, which in turn can cause memory loss. Regular exercises can help in combating this situation. This is because with exercising, more oxygen and blood goes to the brain, thereby keeping the cells healthy.
- Just like you are keeping your body healthy through exercising, you need to give some work to your brain also. Supplying new information is a way to keep your brain cells engaged and in good condition. You can take up exciting classes or play Sudoku to keep your brain working in the proper way.
- Eat healthy. This is another way to prevent memory loss in aging people. Vitamin B protects neurons and also helps in combating cardiovascular diseases. Increasing the intake of whole grains, fruits and vegetables help in keeping the body healthy, which in turn ensures good brain health as well.
- In today’s world, pollution, tension and stress levels have increased a lot. Managing stress is a must while working on improving memory.
with aging may be a natural aspect of life. But you can follow these simple tips to stay away from the concern of dealing with decreased memory power.
Wednesday, March 9th, 2011 at
Many research results have shown that a calm approach to thinking can lead to improved memory. It is here that meditation can help. Being a holistic discipline that trains your body and mind to help you remain calm and stay focused, meditation improves your capability to think rationally and calmly. By helping you control your stress levels, it can also increase your attention span, and sharpen intelligence as well as focus. If you want to know more about how meditation can help you in your memory improvement
endeavor, here are some cues:
- Affecting the Cerebral Cortex: The cortex in your brain plays an important role in higher mental functions. It is believed that meditation exercises your cerebral cortex, which in turn increases in size and offers a better performance. Many accomplished musicians, linguists, and athletes have been found to posses a thickening in specific regions of their cortex. Meditation also improves the blood flow to your brain, thus helping it function more effectively.
- Improves visual memory: Meditation practices that use Deity Yoga can help you enjoy an enhanced visual memory. It improves your ability to hold an image in the memory and later identify it among other comparable images.
- Improves level of concentration: Most memory improvement techniques focus on how to improve your concentration. In the domain of meditation, concentration practices like Tratak can help significantly in such cases. Whether you want to have an improved memory for your studies, professional needs or want to sharpen your memory and intelligence during the golden years, meditation can be an extremely effective tool.
- Helps to combat stress: Apart from causing many psychological and physical problems, stress also affects your memory adversely. However, meditation can assist you to decrease the levels of anxiety and stress, thus helping you in your memory improvement attempt.
- Develops emotional stability: Meditation can help you to relax, and techniques like Yoga Nidra can bring high levels of emotional equilibrium. Since your mind becomes calm, you are able to focus better and enjoy a high level of concentration.
Meditation also improves the level of self-confidence and plays a constructive role in fostering a positive attitude. So, many memory improvement
techniques these days sing praises of the benefits of meditation.
Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011 at
There are many food items that are known to have memory boosting powers. If you are curious to know more about some of them, you may begin your quest with caffeine. Perhaps you have seen how many people can’t begin their day without their quota of the morning cup of coffee. If you have always wondered why, and would love to delve deeper into how caffeine can act as a memory booster
, here are some points that would offer useful insight into the mater:
- Stimulates the brain: Caffeine helps to stimulate proper brain function and acts as a jolt to your system. That’s why many people feel that they simply can’t function until they have had their morning cup of coffee.
- Enhances the functionality of brain: Caffeine gives an extra boost to your brain, thus helping it to get different things clarified and sorted into their right compartments. Perhaps this is why you would find many people sipping a cup of coffee during the mid afternoon hours when a lull descends and people start feeling lethargic. The caffeine in the coffee helps to bring your mind back to the alert stage by blocking the effects of adenosine, which is a neurotransmitter in the brain that makes you feel tired. This way, you can stay awake and continue with your work for the rest of the day.
- Helps you to retain and process information: Thanks to its ability to improve memory, caffeine helps you to process information effectively and retain the same for a long period of time. So, whether you are a student, an employee or an independent professional, adequate dose of caffeine can help you tread the path of success.
- Boosts feelings of well being: Caffeine encourages the release of dopamine – a brain chemical, which promotes the feeling of well being. Since memory power has a close connection with your well being, your brain works efficiently when you are happy and calm. No wonder that caffeine is hailed for giving results as a memory booster.
Despite its advantages as a memory booster,
caffeine is primarily a stimulant. So, it’s wise to consume it in limited dosage and not get too dependent on it.
Sunday, February 27th, 2011 at
Proper sleeping habit is good for health and can do wonders for your memory power too. In fact, sleep and memory are correlated and a good amount of sleep can help you in your memory improvement
endeavors. Several studies have proven that nocturnal sleep can really speed up the memory process. This is because a good amount of sleep helps in rejuvenating your body and abilities. You can not only process more information in your brain but even remember them well. Good sleep is a way to enjoy better concentration and forms an important part of almost all memory improvement
Here is how sleep and memory power are correlated:
- When we sleep properly, our body gets adequate rest. This allows the brain to prepare for the next day of activity and also helps your body to regain its lost energy.
- It has been seen in various studies that sleep deprivation can lead to short term memory loss. In fact, a young person who has not got proper sleep can find it difficult to handle memory related tasks.
- Researches have also shown that sleep deprivation doesn’t affect all individuals in the same way. It has been seen that a person who has not slept for 35 hours can still recognize face of famous persons and their family members, but may face difficulty in remembering the context of those pictures.
- A good night’s sleep helps in proper response and functionality of the brain. This eventually leads to memory improvement.
- There are three types of memory storages. These include stabilization, consolidation and re-consolidation. In studies, it has been seen that stabilization will take six hours of sleep to act properly. Naturally, individuals who get even less than 6 hours of sleep daily are actually helping in getting their memory power damaged.
- Studies have also shown that REM or deep sleep helps in memory improvement related to skills and procedures.
- Short power naps are also found to be useful memory techniques, which will help you to work effectively throughout the day.
So, it won’t be an exaggeration to say that if you want to enjoy improved memory power,
the more sleep you get, the better it is.
Friday, February 25th, 2011 at
Though there are various memory improvement
techniques, speed reading is hailed as one of the most effective ones by people all over the world. Correct speed reading techniques will not only help you double your reading speed, but also retain the information for a long time and enjoy improved concentration as well as focus. If you want to try it now, here are some techniques that will help you master speed reading:
- Chunking: Break down complex information into chunks of 7 elements or less. Since your conscious brain can organize and manage only about 7 seven chunks of data at a time, chunking of data this way will help you read faster and remember large amounts of data for a long time to come. The usage of mnemonics can be a good way to accomplish this job.
- Skimming: Learn how to skim the entire data using key words and phrases, without reading every word on the page. By skipping some sections that have little consequence to the overall meaning, you will be able to process information faster as compared to the traditional way of reading each word.
- Elimination of sub-vocalization: When you read aloud, the time taken by the brain to process the words before they are pronounced is more as compared to when you read silently. Some research results have shown that as long as the first and last alphabet is in place, your brain can understand the arrangement of the other letters as it logically puts each piece into place. So, learn to read silently without pronouncing each word in your mind as you will be able to read a selection much faster this way and retain the same in your memory. No wonder that this is an important memory improvement technique.
Though you may be lured into trying speed reading – an effective memory improvement
technique, remember to be patient and persistent in your efforts. There are no tried and true methods that would work for everyone. So, if you want to learn how to speed read, the best way to is to practice and study the various methods as mentioned above, which speed readers employ, and select the ones that match your needs the best.
Thursday, February 17th, 2011 at
If you want to unlock the power of your brain and
make the most of your life, here are some secret tips that can help:
- Practice deep breathing: When you take a deep breath, air is drawn deeper into your lungs. This means that the presence of oxygen in your blood increases, which in turn also helps your brain. Taking deep breaths will also let you relax and beat stress, which in turn is known to be conducive to clear thinking. Thus, deep breathing can help you increase brain power.
- Meditate: Though there are various forms of meditation, you can begin with the simple task of closing your eyes and paying attention to how you breathe. Whenever your mind tends to wander, focus on your breath. Keep exercising the muscles by tensing them up and then relaxing them. A small session of just five or ten minutes will usually relax you, clear your thoughts, and make you ready for any mental task.
- Develop good thinking habits: Good thinking habits can help a lot in your endeavor to increase memory power. So, try to redesign everything you do and see in a positive way for a while unless it becomes a habit. Once the habit takes root into your subconscious mind, you will become more resourceful effortlessly and have the capability to use the power of habit, which in turn would help you to handle situations positively.
- Have adequate sleep: Sleep better to increase brain power. Though many people will tell you that seven to eight hours of sleep is mandatory for good brain power, what matters is the quality rather than the quantity. As long as you get enough sleep, which is around five hours for most people, you won’t have any problem exercising your brain for various jobs. You may even take short naps in the afternoon, if possible, as they have been found to be useful in recharging the brain cells.
- Exercise: If you wish to increase brain power for long term, opt for a regular exercise schedule to ensure good physical health. Remember – good physical heath will also boost your brain power. Even some research results have shown how only ten minutes of aerobic exercise can improve cognitive function. So, imagine what your brain can do if you keep it healthy by doing regular exercises.
- Eat a healthy diet: Eat a balanced diet, avoid unhealthy food items and stay away from other bad habits like smoking and consumption of alcohol to have a fit body and mind.
Lead a disciplined life and follow these tips to increase brain power.
Friday, February 11th, 2011 at
Loss of memory is troublesome for almost everyone but the anxiety that comes with such loss makes life miserable for people. Though memory loss
is common as you age, some people also suffer from it due to nutritional deficiency. Intake of drugs and alcohol, deficiency of amino acids, and exposure to free radicals are some other causes that may affect your brain’s functionality. Though many people pop pills at the first sign of a problem, you can combat the problem of memory loss
with the help of some effective natural remedies.
To begin with, make sure to eat a healthy diet that has plenty of antioxidants and is rich in nutrients. You can select a diet that includes fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, raw foods and plenty of grains. It would be wise to consume foods having low levels of cholesterol and saturated fats. Keep an eye on your sugar and salt consumption and try to use both in moderation.
Combating memory loss
the natural way also needs you to bring some changes in your lifestyle. If you love to lead a sedentary lifestyle, it’s time to change things. Remember that mental and physical fitness go hand in hand. So, include some form of physical activity in your daily routine and make exercises an inevitable part of your life.
If you can’t give up on smoking or your quota of alcohol, take note of certain things. Smoking alters the level of oxygen in the brain, which in turn may cause memory problems. Excessive or long-term drinking can also cause irreparable damage to the brain cells. So, bidding adieu to both these habits will help you combat the problem of memory loss
Learning is another natural way to improve and maintain mental functions, especially during your later years. Whether it’s about knowing what’s happening all around the world by keeping an eye on the current affairs, playing challenging games, reading regularly, developing a new hobby or learning a new language, you should learn to take up challenges that exercise your mind. This way, you can keep memory loss
Monday, December 20th, 2010 at
As we age, our memory power takes a beating. If you don’t want to simply sit back and let nature takes its course, you should know about the effective ways that could help you improve your memory. Apart from physical fitness and intake of a healthy diet, you can also consider the consumption of certain vitamins that are known for their memory improvement
When you consider vitamins to improve memory
, Vitamin A, C and E as well as B Vitamins top the list. Vitamin A – also called Beta Carotene, is often clubbed under the category of “Antioxidant Vitamins” as it protects the brain cells against the damaging action of free radicals. Vitamins C and E also belong to the same category and help in either stopping or slowing down the spread of damage caused by free radicals. While consumption of citrus fruits and dark green leafy vegetables will help you get enough dosage of Vitamin C, intake of nuts, seeds and fish oils will ensure that you have enough amount of Vitamin E in your body.
Many research results have shown that B Vitamins protect the neurons in the brain by creating a protective shield around them. They also break down the amino acid - homocysteine, which is toxic for the nerve cells. These vitamins play an important role in the production of red blood cells, which help in the transport of oxygen to the brain. Important B vitamins that improve memory include B12, B6, and B9 (Folic Acid). You may either take them as vitamin supplements or opt for the preferred option of consuming food items rich in these vitamins.
So, make a habit of eating spinach, other dark, green leafy vegetables like broccoli, soybeans, strawberries, melons, asparagus, black beans, legumes, and citrus fruits like oranges and grapefruit to enjoy improved memory. Remember that these vitamins will be helpful in addressing memory problems ranging from mild to moderate level. You may even steer clear of dreadful ailments like Alzheimer's diseases if you complement the intake of these vitamins with a balanced diet and regular exercise regimen. So, take the first step towards memory improvement
by ensuring the intake of these helpful vitamins in your diet.
Sunday, December 12th, 2010 at
The more active you keep your brain, the more fit it will be for performing certain tasks. Just like we can keep our body healthy through exercises, brain fitness exercises
are also there with the same aim – to keep your brain healthy and active. However, before you start jotting down some brain fitness exercises
from here and there, you should have a proper idea about the concepts behind these fitness regime for your brain. So, here are some facts to help you in your endeavor:
- Your brain grows better when you keep your focus on a single idea or item as the brain thinks through association.
- Your brain gets very active when it finds varieties of exercises and activities. On the contrary, if you fall into the habit of regular patterns of work, your brain gets adjusted to it and tends to get sluggish.
- Challenging your brain with new activities can really stimulate it and improve memory power as well.
Now that you are aware of some of the ways that your brain works or loves to work, creating and following brain fitness exercises
becomes easier. Here are certain exercise ideas that you can try to keep your brain active and fit:
- Speed Reading: This is one of the easiest and effective fitness exercises for the brain that you can try. Speed-reading helps in improving photographic memory and increase knowledge fast through building neural networks in the brain.
- Color Recalling and Picture Visualization: This is a very effective brain training exercise. It helps in improving memory a lot. There can be several types of color recalling and picture visualization exercises, from which you can take your pick.
- Playing with Words: When you are trying to improve your memory by training your brain to become more active, playing with words can be very helpful.
- Physical Exercises for Brain: There are several brain training exercises and a physical exercise for the brain is one of them. You can, for instance, stare straight ahead and focus your eyes in front. Then without turning your head, you have to slowly roll your eyes fully by 360°.
Try to follow some of these exercises for a more active brain and memory power.
Wednesday, December 8th, 2010 at
At some point of time in our lives, all of us have either tried or are still trying to employ strategies to improve memory
. There are certain ways that you can depend on instead of trying the much-hyped medicines or other memory solutions available in the market.
There are generally four basic ways as mentioned below, which can help in overall memory improvement:
• Development of the mind
Just like we train our body through several exercises, we can train our mind too. The main objective is the same in both these cases – achieving fitness - both for the body and the mind. There are several areas where we can improve our mental fitness like imagination, awareness, and analytical skills. The more active our mind becomes, the more fit it is. Even an improvement in memory power is observed at the same time. You can even use various self-help books for improving your mental health and fitness.
• Conversion of information
It is generally harder to remember a chunk of information than remembering small bits of information. That is why if you convert a chunk of information into little bits using charts, diagrams or color-coding to make it attractive and interesting, it will help in remembering certain things easily. Taking the dullness away and converting the same piece of text into small, spicy ones helps a lot to memorize and improve memory.
• Memorizing techniques
There are several ways and exercises that you can follow to improve memory. One good way is to relate some dull information to something that appears to be interesting to you like color, music or funny facts.
• Power of recalling
Another great strategy for memory improvement is to guide and train your mind to recall things. Sometimes it happens that we really don’t forget anything, but fail to recall certain events. This is because most of us do not bring our conscious mind to full work. We should train our conscious mind to work more, which in turn will help to improve memory
. For instance, you can start by recalling the day’s event just before you go to bed. Gradually, you can extend this exercise to other fields of life and improve memory.